Your objections range from:
- Your destiny is in the stars.
- The gods decide your destiny.
- It’s your portion in life.
- Whatever will be, will be.
- Your past life affects your fate.
- You never know when you’ll die.
Hollywood and the Gaming Industry promote these beliefs.
You, in turn, accept this thanks to your repeated exposure to them.
If you believe the above arguments, then you’re saying that something is controlling your life and your destiny.
WebPro defines Destiny as:
- An event (or a course of events) that will inevitably happen in the future
- The ultimate agency regarded as predetermining the course of events (often personified as a woman)
- Your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you)
The word ‘inevitably’ derives from inevitable which means unable to avoid or prevent.
Destiny means your life path or events are set, and you cannot change them.
If that’s the case, then you’re a puppet who is controlled by the strings of destiny.
It also means that whatever you do to change your future is futile, as your path is already mapped out.
Any detours you take will lead you back to your Final Destination.
This film is an excellent portrayal of how people tried to change their destinies.
If the above is true, then I have two questions.
- Who or what decides your destiny?
- How do you know what your destiny is?
To believe in destiny is to take your whole life and place it in the hands of something that you don’t know.
- It’s your life so surely you should have some say in it?
- To what grand design has destiny fashioned your life and to what end?
- Why are some born with a silver spoon and others with the stick of poverty?
- Is this destiny working for me or against me?
People always function better if they know what their goal is.
Any production line will fail if they don’t have set targets.
You’ll never arrive at your destination if you don’t know where you’re going. Surely, it’s in your best interests to know what your destiny is so that you don’t waste your life seeking something that will never happen?
I cannot accept that I’ve no control over what happens to me.
To pass this off to some unseen blueprint that was created before I was born is an exercise in insanity.
It makes you into a puppet hanging on the strings of fate, pulled by an unseen master, acting out a script that you’ll never read.
Do you believe that destiny controls your life?
Our destiny changes with our thought; we shall become what we wish to become, do what we wish to do when our habitual thought corresponds with our desire.
Orison Swett Marden
Updated: April 2022